Re: [xml] reporting bug for lixml2.2.6-8

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 11:24:09AM +0200, Pascal Rodes wrote:
My English is not perfect so please apologize me for some
mistakes.
We have develop an application based on libxml2 for Airbus
that will be embedded on the future plane A380 and A400M, in a Linux Laptop.

In the instrumentation process off the library we have get un slight bug given
by the tool insure (formr insight), here it is :
[dict.c:711] **EXPR_UNRELATED_PTRCMP**

        if ((str >= pool->array) && (str <= pool->free))

  Expression compares unrelated pointers: str >= pool->array

                     xmlDictOwns()  dict.c, 711

  It is actually not a bug, Insure is using an heuristic here which defeats
the code. Basically given a pointer to a string the question is whether
that string comes from the dictionnary. To check that the pointer is compared
to the upper and lower bounds of the memory areas used by the dictionnary.
The pointers are unrelated, that's true, str could come from static memory
heap or stack and not being related to the dictionnaries allocated from heap
the comparison is still legal, harmless and the right thing to do in that case.
It's also very cheap, i.e. fast.
  You can safely switch off this specific error report in Insure.

[...]
Otherwise , we also use the schema it's working better on 2.2.6-8
than on 2.2.6-4 where it was a bit scratchy.

  Schemas has improved a lot this year thanks to Kasimier Buchcik, current
version 2.6.12 should be way better than 2.2.6

Can we receive some newletters about new versions and when they we'll be
accessible (I dont have right now, a full internet access to register to the mailing list...) ?

  Well it's difficult to push informations is you can't receive it.
What's blocking you from getting mail ? If you have web access
   http://xmlsoft.org/news.html
is the web page indicating the releases. I usually do a release every month.

Daniel