Re: [xml] libxml2 and pthreads

Daniel Veillard wrote:
On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 09:47:15AM -0700, Ben Greear wrote:

My hope would be that distributions would start shipping it compiled w/out
pthreads by default and applications that currently use the pthread version
would quickly migrate to this new approach.

  No way, this won't work, this will deactivate thread support completely
and break their ABI. Don't even hope for it Red Hat won't do this and
other won't either I'm pretty sure.
  If this is the intent of the patch, it won't work. We will not break ABIs,

You broke the interface going from RH9 to FC2 by forcing linking with
pthreads.  If I can make the callbacks work with only a few extra lines
of initialization code then it will not be hard for other applications
to port to the new API.

Or can change it to libxml3 or something like that.

Either way, my intent is to offer a better solution to locking
for the xml library.

Whether distributions follow along, or whether you even choose to
accept such a patch, is beyond my control.

Ben

Daniel

--
Ben Greear <greearb candelatech com>