Re: [xml] configure.in

Daniel Veillard wrote:
On Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 02:57:21PM +0900, Mike Hommey wrote:

Hi list,

Small tiny question : why is the AM_MAINTAINER_MODE command commented in libxml2's configure.in ? In would *really* be nice to have it uncommented. (note that it is not commented neither in libxml's nor in libxslt's)

  Probably because I uncommented it in my search for fixing some
configure problems. Why would you want it enabled ? Please explain !

AM_MAINTAINER_MODE adds a --enable-maintainer-mode option to the configure script which enables the special feature that makes everything automagically rebuild on changes to configure.in or Makefile.am (which is otherwise activated by default). That means that configure is called without this option, autotools won't be called at build time in case of timeskews or other cases, and thus avoid having to have autotools installed on your system when you *only* want to build the package. It is useful for both end-users and packagers (like me for Debian), while libxml2 developpers can still call configure with the --enable-maintainer-mode option so that the automagically rebuilding stuff gets enabled.

Mike

PS: re-reading the message, I'm not quite sure to clearly explain the issue...