[xml] Need help extracting parts of XML doc while parsing

Hi,

Below is a snippet of some of code I am writing to parse a SOAP/XML document.  I currently ignore unknown
elements (those I don't care about) and their respective XML subtrees.  Instead of ignoring these unknown
elements' subtrees,  I would like to store each one in a C++ string or C character array.  Is there a way to
do this?  I'm envisioning an API like:

string unknown_element = string(xmlTextReaderRead_subtree(reader));

where xmlTextReaderRead_subtree(reader)returns an xmlChar pointer to the segment of the XML document that
would comprize the subtree of the current element.

eg, if the <detail> element in my SOAP Fault message looks like

<detail> blah, blah, blah, ... </detail>

then after invoking the API xmlTextReaderRead_subtree(), my string unknown_element, should contain the
characters "blah, blah, blah, ... ".

Any help would be appreciated.

while (ret == 1)
{
    type = processNode(reader, &halt);

    if ( halt != 0 )
        break;          // major problem

    if ( type == UNSUPPORTED )  // skip entire subtree for this element
        ret = xmlTextReaderNext(reader);
    else
        ret = xmlTextReaderRead(reader);
}