Re: [xml] Uninstalled .pc file

On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 10:55, Daniel Veillard wrote:
On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 09:32:41AM +1000, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
Daniel,

While playing around and compiling things against the latest libxml
code, I found the attached file useful to have. It allows one to build
things against an uninstalled build of libxml just by setting
PKG_CONFIG_PATH to include the libxml source directory (this is a
documented feature of pkg-config).

  okay, the purpose escapes me a bit, but why not.

The purpose is that you can build a third-party package easily against
an uninstalled libxml by only setting PKG_CONFIG_PATH before running
'configure'. It just saves a step of running 'make install' and
remembering to have previously set prefix to somewhere that isn't my
normal location. Maybe I'm the only person in the world who uses this,
but I appreciate packages that supply it. :-)

If you would like to use this file (which should be called
libxml-2.0-uninstalled.pc.in), you just need to make sure the generated
version (libxml-2.0-uninstalled.pc) is added to the AC_OUTPUT macro in
configure.in as well.

  Hum, if you can fix the configure.in/Makefile.am as needed and add
this file in CVS, then please commit it yourself. Just make sure that
make rpm still works if you have a Red Hat box handy,

OK, will do.

Cheers,
Malcolm