RE: [xml] Beta release of 2.6.0beta2

From: xml-admin gnome org [mailto:xml-admin gnome org]On Behalf Of
Daniel Veillard
Sent: 25 September, 2003 15:27
To: Stefan Seefeld
Cc: xml gnome org
Subject: Re: [xml] Beta release of 2.6.0beta2

[...]

  if I get a precise definition yes. If you want a callback
to set errors
there are already 2 of them, one for global errors, and one for per
parsing errors in the sAX callback. So now do your part of the work,
I'm fine with the current error API state, you (collectively)
want something
else, fine, but what ?

IMHO, the per context callbacks are fine.
The per thread callback for global errors can cause
problems when a library (or  python module for instance)
is using libxml. Indeed when that library wants to catch
global errors, it must register it's own handler, therefore
overriding handlers that may haven been set by the main
application or other libraries.

I known it could save and restore the previous handler
but this is quite cumbersome (it must be done in each
entry point of the library) and maybe quite complex
in the presence of callbacks.

I was thinking of some sort of getLastError API but
I've no complete proposal to submit and have not thought
about API/ABI compatibility; just wanted to test the idea.

-sbi