[xml] Differences in DOM parsing on Windows and UNIX?

I have been successfully using libxml2 in a Windows environment for several months now.  But now I am trying to port to UNIX (Solaris 8) and it appears the DOM tree created in the two environments is different.  For the following simple XML schema specification:

   <xsd:simpleType name="EmployeeNumber">
      <xsd:restriction base="xsd:integer" minInclusive="10"/>
   </xsd:simpleType>
On Windows, I get:

    ELEMENT xsd:simpleType
      ATTRIBUTE name
        TEXT
          content=EmployeeNumber
      ELEMENT xsd:restriction

On UNIX, I get:

    ELEMENT xsd:simpleType
      ATTRIBUTE name
        TEXT
          content=EmployeeNumber
      TEXT
        content=
      ELEMENT xsd:restriction

Extra text nodes are inserted for whitespace.  Is this a configuration issue?  If not, which version is correct?

I used the standard out-of-the-box build procedure in both cases and built from source code instead of using the pre-compiled binaries.  Has anyone else observed this behavior?  It would be good to know before I start digging into the code.

BTW: I am using version 2.5.11.

Regards,

Ed Day