Re: [xml] RAW && NXT with strncmp()

Hi,

Depending on the frequency of a match NOT occuring, the original code could be significantly faster. The first condition that did not match causes the remaining comparisons to not happen. If in 90% of the cases (I have no idea the context of this code), the match is going to fail on the (RAW=='<'), then the other two comparisons would NOT happen.

This compared with the overhead of a function call every time... but then I'm an "old school" C programmer who considers things like speed.

I'd be inclined to make a #define for the comparison if it occurs in so many places. But that's just me...

Cheers,
Steve

Igor Izvarin wrote:

Hi community,
I think this is the question mainly to Daniel Veillard, but ... :-))) I found 79 (more or less) places in the parser.c code that contains fragments like this:
Its functionality is exact repetition of the functionality of the strncmp() standard function.
if (strncmp(RAW, "<?x...", n) == 0) ...
This function can be expanded inline using the #pragma intrinsic(...) instruction. For my opinion this change will improve the code readability and maintenance, will reduce the source code size and object code size. What is your opinion on this? With best regards,
Igor Izvarin