Re: [xml] built libxml and libxslt, possible bugs

Hi Tobi, and list:

  For me, the thread was getting too long, so I just cut it all away
- anyone interested can go back through the thread to see what has
come before.

  Let's start by being very clear:  I'm not angry, remarks such as
"go to war" were only my attempt at humour.  If they were
mis-understood I humbly apologize.  My only purpose in
corresponding is to try to help, both you (Tobi) and anyone else
who comes upon this thread.

  Now, during the compilation of libxslt you encountered a large
number of warning messages.  These messages were related to coding
which I, as a developer, have some responsibility for.  Let me
again be very clear and leave no room for misunderstanding.  These
messages are NOT NORMAL and, if the library configuration is done
correctly, they WILL NOT be present.

  On your original posting, you stated that you had done the following:

tobi ~/del/compile_libxml/libxml2-2.6.2 $ ./configure \
 --prefix=$HOME/bulk/run/libxml
[...]
[...] libxslt-1.1.0 $ make
[generated many warnings like this one:]
[...]
tobi ~/del/compile_libxml/libxml2-2.6.2 $ make install
[...]

You did not specify what you had done on the configuration of
libxslt, but the fact that you got the warnings means ***the
compilation of the libxslt library was not getting the include files
from the preceding setup of the libxml2 library***.  If you have not
re-done the configuration of libxslt, look in the libxslt-1.1.0
directory at the file config.status, and it will show *exactly* what
was done.

  Again, I am not intending to criticize you in any way.  I'm only
telling you that this is a fact.  If you now have the missing zlib
stuff, you can re-do it.  The steps you have in today's mail
should work, but just in case there is any further trouble, it
would be helpful to make a copy of the configuration run, i.e.
  ./configure --prefix= ......  2>&1 | tee tobiconfig.log
and when you do the make after the configuration, save the errors
and warnings with
  make 2>tobierrors.log

  Good luck to you, and please let us know the results.

Regards,

Bill