Re: [xml] final output filtering?

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Peter Jacobi wrote:

Hi Daniel,

  But precisely, I want libxml2 to be platform independant. The exact
same sequence of bytes should come out of it given the same sequence
of bytes in input.

I think there is still confusion here.

First, if you really want to enforce byte-by-byte identical output when
streaming out the tree, the writer's fopen has to be changed to:

#if defined(WIN32) || defined (__CYGWIN__)
      fd = fopen(path, "wb");
#else
      fd = fopen(path, "w");
#endif /* WIN32 */

I'm probably missing something here, but I would have thought that if you
really wanted to enforce byte-by-byte identical output when streaming to
the tree you should *always* be using :

        fd = fopen(path, "wb");

that is, the conditional case seems completely redundant to me. You want
the data to be treated as binary so I would have thought that you would
always want to open it for binary output. Thus avoiding the problem of
line endings on platforms you haven't yet encountered (broken C libraries
not withstanding).

The only issue that I've seen on the list so far (Igor's post) has been a
MS broken C library implementation when plain "w" is used. This is
something which Daniel (and general principles) wants to avoid anyhow, so
why not drop the text mode entirely for all platforms ?

--
Gerph {djf0-.3w6e2w2.226,6q6w2q2,2.3,2m4}
... I shut the door and travelled to another home.