Re: SV: [xml] windows binary with different calling

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 10:12:06AM +1000, Eric Zurcher csiro au wrote:
Peter Jacobi has already provided a better explanation than I could of
why FUNKY_FUNCTION_MACROS are commonly used in the Windows world.

I can only add that for me, creation of the .def file has not been
completely automatic. I build and use libxml2 using the Borland C++
compiler, which does not use the same conventions as Microsoft's. By
default, the Borland compiler prefixes an underscore before the names
of global identifiers (including function names) in object files. And
the Borland linker does not recognise the "DATA" keyword in .def file
EXPORT statements. This means I need to adapt the libxml2.def file
before I can use it.

  Hum, the automated chain producing the .def could simply be slightly
tweaked to generate Borland .def instead of MS .def, the stylesheet
extension would probably be trivial.

Admittedly, this has been only a rather minor inconvenience, but I'm a
lazy bastard, and I'd rather not have to deal with it at all.

OK, OK. Don't tell me. I already know what I need to do. I should make
modified copies of Igor's defgen.xsl and Makefile.msvc that work
correctly with the Borland compiler, then check them in for everyone to
enjoy. That's fine. Give me a few days and I'll see what I can do...

  Yup, but more future proof, if you could review Igor changes to make sure
they integrate properly with borland environment, that would be even more
useful.

Daniel