[xml] mapping 2-byte Unicode char to UTF-8?

Forgive the newbie question, but is there anything exposed in the libxml2/iconv framework (function, macro) that would take a 2-byte Unicode binary character value (yes, I realize this isn't extended-Unicode capable ;-) and turn it into the properly-encoded UTF-8 character sequence?

Thanks for any hints.

(To list moderator: I sent a first copy of this from the wrong email account, thanks to an OS X Mail.app bug. ;-)

Cheers!
--Chris Ryland / Em Software, Inc. / www.emsoftware.com