Re: [xml] Transport plugins for libxml applications

On Tuesday 29 July 2003 01:08, Daniel Veillard wrote:
On Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 11:24:32AM +1000, Keith Isdale wrote:
At some point there will be tranports that for one reason or another
can't be added to libxml. This idea addresses that problem.

  I believe libxml2 interface to plug you own resolvers and I/O
implementation are sufficient. This doesn't prevent building stuff
making use of it as a library, but I don't think this need to be added
directly to libxml2.

Yes that is what I meant, that the transports would be completely plugable
into the application and should not need to cause any changes to libxml2.
They would use the normal libxml2 functions to install thier resolver or I/O
method

My email was in response to the thread
        http://mail.gnome.org/archives/xml/2003-July/msg00163.html

Personaly, I wonder what is the scope of the libxml2 project in reguards to
tranports. At what point do you say this access to a given transport is
outside of the scope of libxml2? I imagine that there are many transports
available  - including some that provide fuller implementation of  transports
that are part of libxml2.

For example I could easliy imagine that there be a "readonly sql' transport
that feed of a SQL database with XML output support.  Though it would seem
somewhat odd to me to have  libxml2 updated to have data base support.

Just my 2 cents.

--
Keith  Isdale
http://sourceforge.net.projects/xsldbg  |   xsldbg helping understand