Re: [xml] DTD/Schema -> ID = Name or NCName

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 04:56:18PM +0200, Johann Richard wrote:
  Second if you use XInclude, your document must conform to the namespace spec, and the namespace spec >
forbids using ':' in NCNames.
  Third XPath also requires the document to conform to the namespace spec so trying to use XPath on a
document which such IDs is certain to lead to troubles.

What I don't understand here is, why isn't the XML spec updated with respect to this, or even designed with
respect to this? OK, it's maybe philosophical; and as you pointed out, the spec already advised against the
use of colons in any Name, so I don't need an answer ;)

  Well, we cannot "break" pure XML-1.0 applications, but as we expanded the
framework we had to make restrictions. Problem is that the platform has
migrated from pure XML-1.0 to XML-1.0 + Namespace + XML Base for most
recent specifications. It is very hard to do spec refactoring without
breaking the entire application stack, and when we can't simply we don't :-\

Regards & "bonne soirée",

  Thanks, but I'm in Canada right now ;-)

Daniel