(fwd) Re: [xml] Substituting Umlauts by Unicode (&#x...) entities

[Forwarded to the list because I accidentally did an "ordinary" reply
(instead of a "list reply" from Mutt. I apologize.]

----- Forwarded message from Holger Rauch <holger rauch heitec de> -----

From: Holger Rauch <holger rauch heitec de>
Subject: Re: [xml] Substituting Umlauts by Unicode (&#x...) entities
To: Daniel Veillard <veillard redhat com>

Hi Daniel!

Forgot a question in my previous mail.

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Daniel Veillard wrote:

[...]
  Ask for "ascii" encoding on output.

In addition to being curious of how to do this, I would like to know the
correct way of retrieving contents from an xmlOutputBufferPtr. As I
mentioned, using xmlBufferContent( outbuf, outbuf->buffer ) or
xmlBufferContent( outbuf, outbuf->conv ) lead to segfaults, so it seems that
this is the wrong approach. So, what's the correct one?

If I expclitly ask for "ascii" encoding on output, does that mean I still
have to do the xmlFindCharHandler() stuff or am I supposed to use either
method, but not both methods simultaneously.

Sorry to bother you with these questions, but it is just not obvious to me
how xmlDocDump() manages to output the entities instead of the real UTF-8
character.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Greetings,

        Holger