(fwd) Re: [xml] Substituting Umlauts by Unicode (&#x...) entities

[Forwarded to the list because I accidentally used the "ordinary" reply
instead of the "list reply" function of mutt. My apologies.]

----- Forwarded message from Daniel Veillard <veillard redhat com> -----

From: Daniel Veillard <veillard redhat com>
Subject: Re: [xml] Substituting Umlauts by Unicode (&#x...) entities
To: Holger Rauch <holger rauch heitec de>

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 12:38:35PM +0100, Holger Rauch wrote:
Hi Daniel!

Thanks for your quick reply!

  use the list !

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Daniel Veillard wrote:

ä ==> &#xE4;
ß ==> &#xDF;

  The internal representation is the UTF-8 string for those characters.
This cannot be changed.

If it can't be changed, why do I get the aforementioned entities when doing
an xmlDocDump() of a document to stdout?

  a dump of the document on stdout is obviously NOT an internal form !

  Ask for "ascii" encoding on output.

How do I do this? Is this what xmlDocDump() does when outputting a document
to stdout?

  You need to use a different API entry point. No more detail outside the list
  http://xmlsoft.org/bugs.html
All the points in red still apply...

Daniel

----- End forwarded message -----