Re: [xml] libxml2-python-2.5.0: debugging output forgotten into production library

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 03:27:22AM +0200, Aleksi Suhonen wrote:

Hello,

The debugging output left in libxml2-python-2.5.0's libxml_xmlNewNode()
is causing lots of problems for our project. Even with debugging on,
it would be nicer if all debugging went to stderr instead of stdout.
(printf(..) -> fprintf(stderr,..))

  That should not be compiled with DEBUG defined, unless you're debugging.
If you're debugging it's usually not a problem to have debug traces to stdout.
I could change this if nobody objects. But you will have to subscribe to the
list if you want to discuss this with other users.

Here's a nice small diff to fix the more immediate NewNode problem:

  Well I nearly discarded the patch because 1/ you did not explain
why it was needed 2/ it was reversed
  I fixed the message.

And this onto the wishlist: please make the interface one layered.
This two layered system is not nice when we're trying to make a
system where both C++ and Python code needs to access the same
libxml2 objects.

  Sorry, totally irrealistic at this point. I'm sorry but there is
a lot to gain both in relibility and simplicity by using a 2 layer
system for python. Your use case of mixing 2 bindings in the same
app is not really convincing me that it's problem likely to affect
much users.

Daniel