Re: Re: [xml] 2.5.x performance vs. 2.4.24

  err, what did I miss again ?

The following, from Monday:

However I'm unable to reproduce your problem:

paphio:~/XML -> file slashdot16.xml
slashdot16.xml: Little-endian UTF-16 Unicode English character data
paphio:~/XML -> ls -l slashdot16.xml
-rw-------    1 veillard www         10374 Aug 11 14:07 slashdot16.xml
paphio:~/XML -> ./xmllint --noout slashdot16.xml paphio:~/XML ->
./xmllint --version
./xmllint: using libxml version 20509
   compiled with: FTP HTTP HTML C14N Catalog DocBook XPath XPointer
XInclude MemDebug Unicode Regexps Automata Schemas paphio:~/XML ->

You had me confused for a while - I couldn't get it to go wrong either. Then I realised I was looking too
closely at how you'd tried to reproduce the problem. It only occurs outputting the xml, so it doesn't happen
if you put "--noout" on the command :-).

 I had to fix xmlParseEncodingDecl() because "utf-16" is not
registered directly as an encoding (only le and be variant are, maybe
this should be fixed). But the converters seems to work for this case.
This does not mean your patch is wrong, just that I can't reproduce
the problem, and I would feel better if I could reproduce it.
 I didn't realized that iconv would take over libxml2 internal UTF-16
parsing when present, seems I would need to do regression testing with
multiple configuration flags to actually catch up some of the
problems.

Your need to fix xmlParseEncodingDecl() seems to be as a result of a change in 2.5.9 - it works for me with a
2.5.8 xmllint but not 2.5.9.

Also Alex Dron's posting from Tuesday evening is relevant, and my reply.