[xml] Please Help - XMLNewDoc crashes

Hi!
I'm a Developer using libxml and get a crash(segmentation fault) calling xmlNewDoc. Here the information I could collect:
Source Code:

     xmlDocPtr xmlResultDoc;
     xmlResultDoc = xmlNewDoc((const xmlChar *)"1.0");

The Call Stack shows malloc() and mallopt() in libc.so as the following routines called. My libxml2 Version is 2.5.7 and my libc version is 2.3.1. I'm using Debian Woody and just made an upgrade using the unstable tree. I'm not (yet) very experienced in Linux Development, so it's maybe a simple question, but I could really need some help.

Thanks
Sven Weiberg