Re: [xml] c14n problem

If you are refering to C14N specification [C14N] then you are right. However, for exclusive c14n [Exc-C14N] (you are using "--exc-without-comments" option, don't you? :) ) the story is different. The spec says that all "visibly utilized" namespaces not rendered in the parent element need to be rendered (there is no mention of the default 'xml' namespace as far as I can see!). In your example, 'xml' namespace is visibly utilized by 'xml:space' attribute and it is not rendered in the parent.

It's not a bug as far as I can interpret the specification. If you have doubts then you can
ask this question in XMLDSig mailing list.

Aleksey

[C14N]             http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xml-c14n-20010315
[Exc-C14N]     http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-exc-c14n/#sec-Specification

Steven wrote:

Hello,

I'm seeing something weird with the xmlC14NDocDumpMemory() function, I am able to reproduce the
problem with the testC14N test program

running: testC14N.exe --exc-without-comments t1.xml

where t1.xml contains:
<doc> <e1 xml:space='preserve'/> </doc>

I get this as output:
<doc>
    <e1 xmlns:xml="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace"; xml:space="preserve"></e1>
</doc>

I would expect:
<doc>
    <e1 xml:space="preserve"></e1>
</doc>

I belive the output should not contain the namespace declaration for the "xml" prefix since it
refers to "http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace";. Is this a bug? Or am I reading the c14n spec
wrong?

Steve