Re: [xml] Bug 81360

Jean Senellart wrote:
my 2 cents on this: the interpretation layer will not be so easy to do and not easily maintainable since the error, warning and debug messages are not so structured. if we considere the messages that xmlGenericError receive (there is about 1000 different calls to this function):

[...]

there was already a thread discussing possible enhancements for the
error reporting.

"xmlC14NVisibleNsStackAdd: cur is null.\n"
"SAX.resolveEntity(%s, %s)\n", publicId, systemId
"Cannot read file %s\n", filename
"xmlNewProp : malloc failed\n"
"xmlBufferAddHead: len < 0\n"
"XInclude: XPointer evaluation failed: #%s\n", fragment
"XInclude: XPointer is not a range: #%s\n", fragment

maybe first step would be to add some structure in those messages (let us say for instance... a xml format :-)?

does this make sense?

I'd suggest to start with a 'message type system', i.e. possibly something as simple as an 'error number'. Any form of meta data that
helps in the interpretation of the message. Formatting is secondary.

Regards,
                Stefan