Re: [xml] 2.4.27 thread problems

On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 01:45:26PM +0800, William M. Brack wrote:
Well, today it's not raining ... I found the problem.

  whoohoo !!!! Your bug busting skills are always impressive, that was
a bug difficult to find, thanks a lot of the research and analysis !
In perspective it seems 
  foo = malloc()
  memset(foo, 0, sizeof(foo));
could probably have been found by a lint checker.
Valgrind should have too but I never ran it with threading enabled
it still seems to have troubles with threads ...
I tried to check all the memset call made in the library ...

First, the only reason I got into this mail thread was because I
wanted to prove that Igor's modification to the spaces in the
threads.c source was the real root cause ;-).  Now, after almost two
full days of low-level debugging, at least I can say that the
problem was within the threads.c module.


Actually, the problem has been present for quite awhile, and must
have had some other bad effects in the past.  For anyone interested,
I describe the problem in detail below.  For those not interested
but wanting to use multi-threading, the problem which I found has
been fixed in CVS.
Hope that will help, and also hope it works okay on other than x86
linux platforms (the only one I can test on).

   Thanks a lot Bill ! I updated my tree, the error disapeared for me
too, I may actually push a release soon, to get that and a few other
problems fixed out ASAP.


Daniel Veillard      | Red Hat Network
veillard redhat com  | libxml GNOME XML XSLT toolkit | Rpmfind RPM search engine

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]