Re: [xml] LibXML and W3C

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 02:17:37PM +0100, Bart Moelans wrote:
Also you say examples of "code" .
XML is a *data* format, so that question makes very little sense.
libxml will handle any conformant XML, well it should
(assuming you don't run into system issues like lack of memory or something).>

Well what I mean was faults like in the thread :"[xml] libxml parses and
serializes "invalid" xml?" posted by Boris Erdmann  on Saturday, 23 Feb 2002.
So, if their are documents that are correct according to the standards LibXML > implement like:the XML
standard, XML Path Language (XPath) 1.0,..., but that
aren't validated correct by LibXML, or fault documents that are parsed.

  That was a bug. If fixed the bug as far as I remember.
If you question how close libxml is from implementing and testing the
standard, well I have 2 piece of publicly available informations for you:

   - I'm part of the XML Core working group which maintains the W3C
     specs for XML-1.0, Namespaces in XML, and was involved in the
     XML standardization effort for a bit. So I think I'm relatively
     well aware of the specifications and I *try* to implement them
     strictly. Bugs are part of any software, hard to blame them, as
     long as they get fixed quickly and there isn't too many of them.

   - The NIST has been maintaining an XML test suite, this consist of more
     than 1800 tests most of them relatively tortous. Libxml current version
     fails on only 3 of them, 2 are errors in the test suite and the 3rd is
     a bug which has been requalified recently and I didn't had the time
     to look at the exact problem.

  Hope this satisfies you. You didn't said anything about the purpose
of your article, its target, its topic, is that for your education, etc ...

Daniel