Re: [xml] XML library evaluation (fwd)

On Thu, 2002-06-13 at 08:18, Dan Ellis wrote:
The company I work for has been developing C++ software using the libxml2
library. However, due to memory allocation problems within the library it
has been decided to drop libxml2 in favour of Xerces. I've suggested that
they bring these issues up here to see if they're known, and if there are
any solutions (either existing, or being worked on). This hasn't been
done, so I'm forwarding some information regarding the evaluation. Are
these known issues? Can anything be done about them, and if so, will they
be?

[large snip]

Dan -

It is helpful of you to provide the evaluation information, but not
helpful enough. Unfortunately, the problems that underlie your missive
reflect a lack of understanding of the libxml development process. Your
company had, and may still have, an opportunity to benefit from that
development process. This is not meant as a criticism of you - you are
clearly trying to do the right thing here. But I hope you can convey to
your company the mistake that has been made.

The evaluation was developed in isolation. That defeats the purpose of
libxml's open development style, which would have allowed your employer
to take advantage of the large base of developers already using libxml.
If y'all found bugs in the areas you discuss in your missive, Daniel
will fix them - and you and everyone else benefits. If the problem
instead is in your use of the library, Daniel and the other participants
in the list can help you understand how to use it correctly. In that
case, you also win, as does everyone else, because the mailing list
discussions become a sort of permanent, thoughtful documentation for
others who come after you.

Again, it is clear from the introduction to your letter that you tried
to do precisely this, in suggesting that they bring the issues up here.
I'm sorry that your coworkers apparently wouldn't listen to you.

It still would be helpful if you could provide more of the specifics
Daniel has asked for, so that others might benefit from your experience
and you can benefit from theirs.

Cheers,
John
--
John Fleck
http://www.inkstain.net http://www.abqjournal.com

"You don't want to die with the music still in you."
 - John Gardner