Re: [xml] Port of libxml for MPE/iX

On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 01:41:08PM +0100, Henke, Markus wrote:
Hello,

although i'm "...apparently don't dare looking at the API,
code, docs or answers..." (sic!)

 Okay, that was a bit harsh. Sorry about that but re-sending
the same issue just got on my nerve. And I don't want to
change the decision to move all APIs to UTF8 (except the very
few ones dedicated to encoding support).

i've somehow managed it
to port libxml to MPE/iX (more or less...).
Currently it's libxml 2.4.12 on MPE/iX 6.0, and it won't
run out of the box.
There's some handwork to do before and after the
'./configure' step and some (minor) changes to the libxml
source code (how could i do that? Well, due to my
deep-rooted anxieties WRT any kind of source code i used
to cry for my mom when i have to open the libxml sources,
and as a matter of principle i close my eyes when i've
to do some changes).

  Well the simplest is to send patches for those changes
and ask for feedback on those. If really there is some
patches which can't be integrated or special instructions
needed for that platform then one can add a directory for
those like we did for VMS and MacOs.

Unfortunately 'make install' fails, i havn't a clue why
(there is a posting WRT that question).

  Hum, where, I don't remember.

Additionally there's is a serious problem concerning the
MPE 'cc' compiler that won't return unresolved external
symbols as an error at link time, but i hope i can
provide a workaround soon (for the moment we've to
manually edit the generated 'config.h').

  I see so basically configure tests just don't work for that
platform. That could be taken care from the configure.in script
or by keeping config.h.MPEiX somewhere with appropriate
instructions.

I'll also give an detailed description of the steps that
are necessary to build libxml2 on MPE if someone wants
to do so (which is rather unlikely, but who knows...).

  Just send them, and it may end up as a specific subdir for
that system.

Daniel