Re: [xml] CFLAGS and build process and libxml2-2.4.12.tar.gz

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 02:17:33PM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
So I have two questions:

1) What is the correct way to solve this problem ?

The usual way is
CFLAGS=foo ./configure <options>

  Yep, I hope this will fix it. Then give us feedback on the
core if you still see it.

2) Where do I go to get a good primer on the theory of how this GNU
   build process works?

The autoconf info documentation, or
http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/

  This also uses libtool:
  http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/libtool.html

All of the Makefiles.in, configure are generated using the autogen.sh
and automake from the configure.in and Makefile.am files prior the
distribution and integrated in the tar.
On the target the configure resulting script generates the Makefile(s) from
the Makefile.in files.
Then the Makefile(s) generated are used to build the objects with the help
of libtool for shared library support.

The way this 3 step process evolves is unfortunately hard to predict,
things change on a regular basis which should be transparent to the final
users but sometimes are not.

Daniel