Re: [xml] problem building libxml2 for HPUX

On Fri, 22 Feb 2002 01:31, you wrote:

The install problem I have is that /usr/bin/install does not exist on
my HPUX system, and I don't know what it does, so I don't know how
to work around the issue.

install is a standard unix utility for installing files . It comes in 2 major
flavours: SysV & BSD which have quite different command line options. Quite
often OS packages include a shell script that mimic the BSD version as it is
more flexible & usable. In fact libxslt  src comes with the install-sh script
in its top level dir . The Makefile generated by configure SHOULD have a line
defining the INSTALL macro thus :
INSTALL = ./install-sh -c
but your configure process set it to a nonexistent command.

Update that  line in the Makefile and it should install quite happily.
( HPUX's install utility is in /usr/sbin/install  - see the man page for
details. )
Why the autoconf system setup the makefile to use /usr/bin/install I'm not
sure. What options did you use with configure ?
When you ran configure it should have reported something like the following :

checking for a BSD compatible install... /local/src/libxml/2.4.12/install-sh

I would much rather have /opt hierarchy than /usr/local, if you can
tell me how to change this.

Thats easy 8-) .
If you want to install in a hierarchy based at /opt ( /opt/bin, /opt/lib,
/opt/man etc ) i.e. mimic the standard installation but rooted at /opt use :
configure --prefix=/opt
or (more likely) you want to use /opt in the standard HPUX style (each app
has its own hierarchy) use :
configure --prefix=/opt/libxml

REMEMBER that if you rerun configure you will probably have to fix up the
regnerated Makefile if it still select sthe wrong install command.

Also I recommend that you run configure --help to see all the options
available to configure.

I also found that nanoftp and nanohttp use the constant SOCKLEN_T,
which on HPUX is defined as socklen_t.  Once I changed this to lower
case I was able to get those files to compile.

I have a proper fix for this issue (not submitted to Daniel Veillard yet) :
The file (used to generate configure with automake) need to set
the HPUX compile environment correctly . Heres the diff for

          *-*-hpux10 | *-*-hpux11 )

If you have automake you can rebuild configure.
If not look for this part of  configure :

if test "${GCC}" != "yes" ; then
    case "${host}" in
          *-*-hpux* )
               CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -Wp,-H30000"
          *-dec-osf* )
               CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -ieee"
    CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -Wall"
    case "${host}" in
          alpha*-*-linux* )
               CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -mieee"
          *-*-hpux10 | *-*-hpux11 )
case ${host} in
        XML_LIBDIR="${XML_LIBDIR} -R${libdir}"

Note where I've inserted the hpux pattern . There may be  a better place to
put this but I dont have the HPUX compiler to test whether its a more
generalised HPUX build issue or not.

On reflection I'll CC this to the mailing list in case this info is of any
help to other HPUX users ....

Peter Farmer            |  Custom XML software   | Internet Engineering
Zveno Pty Ltd           | Website XML Solutions  | Training & Seminars   |   Open Source Tools    |   - XML XSL Tcl
Ph. +61 8 92036380      | Mobile +61 417 906 851 | Fax +61 8 92036380