[xml] using libxml's xpath without libxml

Hello,

I am wondering if it is possible to use libxml's xpath implementation to
access xml documents which are in some self defined xml-node based
storage structure.
If this is possible without having to be a 5-star wizard in c may I ask
for a high level overview what would have to be done in order to get the
ball rolling? I looked through xpath.c but have to admit that this >
10000 lines are too much for me to swallow at once.

Sorry for dumb question,
Robert