Re: [xml] sharing

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 12:01:17PM +0200, Luca Padovani wrote:
On Wed, 2002-08-14 at 11:54, Daniel Veillard wrote:
  no, I didn't want to start doing ref counting and having my own
string type, and early experiement didn't show a big improvement.

maybe ref counting is not necessary. If you apply sharing in a uniform
way you KNOW that tag names and attribute names are all potentially
shared. You just need to keep a hash table associated to the document
with the shared strings.

  And when you take a subpart of a document and prune it in another one ?
Doesn't work, big bad mess ...

I might also miss some point in this reasoning that could make this
approach unfeasible...

  yes, that the toolkit is editing oriented !

Daniel