Re: [xml] sharing

On Wed, 2002-08-14 at 11:54, Daniel Veillard wrote:
  no, I didn't want to start doing ref counting and having my own
string type, and early experiement didn't show a big improvement.

maybe ref counting is not necessary. If you apply sharing in a uniform
way you KNOW that tag names and attribute names are all potentially
shared. You just need to keep a hash table associated to the document
with the shared strings. When you release a node, the node name is not
released. When you release the document, the whole hash table of shared
strings is released. And when the user asks for node names the string is
duplicated (as it is now, if I remember correctly).

I might also miss some point in this reasoning that could make this
approach unfeasible...

Thank you,
luca