[xml] Xml Dom Php Concerns

Hello I am currently working on a project involving xml parsing in php.
I  wish to use tree based relationships so my current feeling is to use the dom parsing engine but I think my client may not appreciate the experimental nature of these functions and this engine.
I was wondering if you would be able to supply me with some dates and or some information about the development cycle of these functions and as to whether they are stable enough to be used on a project of a large scale.

I would appreciate your comments.

Regards Stuart Flanagan