[xml] question for the libxsl experts

Fellas,

libxml continues, unsuprisingly, to suprise me with its quality.
My Network Intrusion Detection System (NIDS) hank is using xml (and
libxml) for its rule format.  I have this week been reading up on xslt
and am using a stylesheet to take a generic ruleset, which specifies the
signature characteristics of various attacks, and transform it according
to a site policy into a working rule file, with such local details as
to whom reports should be sent, if matching packets should be dropped
by the OS's firewall (if available), etc.  I don't know anyone else
who can do stuff like this, and I owe it all to Xmlsoft.  8^)

This part is going well.  However, in the formulation of the reports, I
have a question that I fear wasting a good deal of time finding the right
answer, so I thought that I would see if I could cheat by asking here.
I asked it in a more primitive form last month and got this answer
from Ignacio: