Re: [xml] make tests fails on sparc solaris2.6

Daniel Veillard wrote:

On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 06:16:32AM +0000, Gary Pennington wrote:

Hi,

There appear to be differences in the way that GNU make and Solaris make interpret the return code of make actions. Without going into the details, this means that you need to use GNU make to run make tests, not the Solaris (i.e. /usr/ccs/bin/make or the Forte tools make). You can download the GNU make from http://www.sunfreeware.com.

 Hum, if it fails only inside make tests, then fixing the Makefile.am
to have it work is worth it. Do you have an idea of what is needed ?
It's probably quite simple.

Daniel

I did track it down sometime earlier this year, but the detail escapes me now. The problem is manifested wherever you have the line
grep "MORY ALLO" .memdump  | grep -v "MEMORY ALLOCATED : 0";\

It may be down to the way in which GNU make and Solaris make interpret return codes from shell conditionals. I think that Solaris make is stricter and if any step of a conditional block returns false, then the action fails whereas GNU make only checks the result of the conditional evaluation and not the individual actions. I don't think I ever did get to the bottom of that problem and it's probably not simple to make it "right" everywhere.

Gary

--
Gary Pennington
Solaris Kernel Development,