Re: [xml] Enhancement request: xmllint verbosity control

Daniel, you wrote:

On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 02:31:26PM +0900, Michael Smith wrote:
... it'd be nice perhaps to have the option of emitting less
verbose output (that is, without the content models) similar to what
nsgmls emits:

  $ nsgmls -wxml -s c:/cygwin/usr/local/xml/xml/xml.dcl xmllinttest.xml
  nsgmls:c:/cygwin/usr/local/xml/xml/xml.dcl:1:W: SGML declaration was not implied
  nsgmls:xmllinttest.xml:9:11:E: end tag for "chapter" which is not finished
  $

  Not printing the full content model is easy. Saying an element is not
finished is a very different kind of analysis. The validator check if
the content model matches the DTD. But it doesn't try to make 'guesses'
about about the reason, i.e. it doesn't try to anticipate over the
author intent.
  If you are looking for the first point, well I could do this. If you are
looking for the second, I can't without spending a lot of time (I don't
currently have) on this issue. Can you clarify ?

Just the option of not having xmllint emit the full content models for
each error would be a big help in troubleshooting, so it'd be nice for
now to have the capability.

As far as level of specificity in the validity error messages, I can
see it's a lot more work to implement, and perhaps nsgmls validity
message are more specific than most parsers. I used the example from
ngslms mostly just to show how it puts each message on a single line.

Regards,

  --Mike