Re: [xml] Enhancement request: xmllint verbosity control

On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 02:31:26PM +0900, Michael Smith wrote:
An xmllint validity check of a document containing an "unfinished"
element (one lacking required child element(s)) will emit the entire
content model for the element, like this:
[...]
While seeing the content models can definitely be helpful, it may be
too much if you're trying to troubleshoot a document with a lot of
errors. So it'd be nice perhaps to have the option of emitting less
verbose output (that is, without the content models) similar to what
nsgmls emits:

  $ nsgmls -wxml -s c:/cygwin/usr/local/xml/xml/xml.dcl xmllinttest.xml
  nsgmls:c:/cygwin/usr/local/xml/xml/xml.dcl:1:W: SGML declaration was not implied
  nsgmls:xmllinttest.xml:9:11:E: end tag for "chapter" which is not finished
  $

  Not printing the full content model is easy. Saying an element is not
finished is a very different kind of analysis. The validator check if
the content model matches the DTD. But it doesn't try to make 'guesses'
about about the reason, i.e. it doesn't try to anticipate over the
author intent.
  If you are looking for the first point, well I could do this. If you are
looking for the second, I can't without spending a lot of time (I don't
currently have) on this issue. Can you clarify ?

Daniel