[xml] XPath oddities

I have a document a little like this:

   <head>
    <script>
     <CC-SCRIPT/>
    </script>
   </head>

What I'm trying to do is reference the node matching
"/html/head/script/CC-SCRIPT" within that document so that I can exchange
it for a new text node - almost a search-and-replace operation, if you
like.

I've used xmlXPathEval() to evaluate the path expression and then
xmlXPtrBuildNodeList() to build a node list of the results.  This node
list doesn't appear to bear any relevance to the matched node in the
original document though - I can't simply use it with xmlReplaceNode(), or
whatever to make the change.

Have I got the wrong end of the stick somewhere?  Is what I'm attempting
to do actually possible?

Regards,

Jon