From: SMS
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2001 1:23 PM
Subject: Re: Kannel installation problem

Hi

I'm following your instructions in installing kannel, first thingI found that libxml2-2.3.4's rpm is not available for RedHat Linux 6.2 or better. the rpm  Iinstalled was for another distribution of Linux. So I unstalled it , also uninstall the libxm version 1.x.x which comes with Redhat.  I then install the libxml2-2.3.4 from source by ./configure , make and make install commands.  it's installed in /usr/local/Iib I then check the  /etc/ld.so.conf which contains following variables

/usr/X11R6/lib

/usr/kerberos/lib

/usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib

How can I update the environment var LD_LIBRARY_PATH. in libxml FAQ they say you may have to rerun ldconfig or similar utility to update your list of installed shared libs. I ran ldconfig but then  I saw in ld.so.conf that /usr/local/lib is not added so I manually entered the path there. ran ldconfig again and tried to install Kannel but it gives following errors.

libxml2 >= 2.2.0 is needed by kannel-1.0.2-1

libxml2 < 2.3.0 is needed by kannel-1.0.2-1

libxml.so.2 is needed by kannel-1.0.2-1

please guide me what to do next as its reallt frustrating now, someone who istalled it on RedHat Linux 6.2 please tell me the exact steps to proceed.

regards

Hassan