Re: [xml] xml1 bug report

On Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 08:46:50AM +0900, Eungkyu Song wrote:
libxml1 have a very big problem.

It write almost charactor > 0x80 in utf8 encoding as &#xxx;, but this is
very bad feature. Because it is NOT ISO/IEC 10646 charactor but just
utf8 encoded charactor. So, many xml parsor try to translate it to
ISO/IEC 10646 charactor, and cannot parse correctly.
"Raw output" is much better way then this clumsy way.

I always uses charactors > 0x80, and I can't use any xml document
from libxml1 cause of this problem.

  Libxml1 is not proper for handling utf8 content. libxml1 is not proper
at all for XML processing actually.

Although development focus is moved to libxml2, I think this problem
must be fixed. because many program uses libxml1.

  Well use the latest version and use the xmlUseNewParser(1) new call
to use a backported parser from the 2.x series.

please fix this bug.
(I think fixing this is not very hard.)

  it is very hard because a lot of apps rely now on the old broken
behaviour. Use the switch indicated that's the only sane way I found
to avoid a terrible mess.

Daniel

Sep 17-18 2001 Brussels Red Hat TechWorld http://www.redhat-techworld.com