Re: [xml] Using libiconv

On Tue, 3 Jul 2001 xml thewrittenword com wrote:

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 09:33:02PM +0200, Tomasz Kłoczko wrote:
On Tue, 3 Jul 2001 xml thewrittenword com wrote:
[..]
Sorry but this kind modyfication it is plain/big step back.
Instead patching configure.in use natural autoconf abilities and run
configure by:

$ CFLAGS="-I<iconv_prefix>/include" LDFLAGS="-L<iconv_prefix>/lib" ./configure

It won't work because you're using GNU libiconv with the system
iconv.h. They are incompatible. The only way to properly check for
-liconv is to AC_TRY_LINK and include iconv.h. You cannot do this with
AC_CHECK_LIB. Brian Stafford was right about this.

Forgive me what is the sens using libiconv when you have iconv in glibc ?
If someone have system with iconv in libc and additionaly have header
files for libiconv this rather slightly not correct situacion and from
ths poin of view we can say "it is your private busines but this isn't
correct" :)

What about Solaris, IRIX, HP-UX, AIX, Tru64 UNIX? What if your iconv
is more robust on one platform than another? What if you want the
*same* functionality across all platforms?

Install this libiconv in other than system libiconv prefix -> check is
installed libiconv has an other (greater) than system libiconv SONAME and
pass:

$ CFLAGS="-I<iconv_prefix>/include" LDFLAGS="-L<iconv_prefix>/lib" ./configure

Can you see any problems ?

In this situaction for test is iconv.h is installed as first will be used
<iconv_prefix>/include path.

kloczek
*Ludzie nie mają problemów, tylko sobie sami je stwarzają*
Tomasz Kłoczko, sys adm @zie.pg.gda.pl|*e-mail: kloczek rudy mif pg gda pl*