[xml] Path problem while parsing DTD

Hi,
I am getting following error while parsing DTD with 'xmllint'. The
same error appears when I am using the API 'xmlParseDTD()'

    warning: failed to load external entity "(null)"

I used xmllint as follows

    xmllint  --dtdvalid  E:\Projects\xml\fdt.dtd  E:\Projects\xml\test.xml

The URL path for DTD is very much correct and
'xmllint' is able to identify the URL for test.xml, but failed to identify the URL
for fdt.dtd file.
Even if I give relative path parsing of DTD fails.

I am using libxml2-2.4.10 on Windows 2000.

Can somebody help me?

thanks in advance
Purnima K