Re: A plan for xml-i18n-tools and gnome 2

On 24Sep2001 11:45PM (-0700), Darin Adler wrote:
> I'm a little annoyed at the half-ass step we took with version 0.9.5 of just
> renaming the tarball to a new name, without changing anything else about
> xml-i18n-tools -- I really don't see how this gets us any closer to
> completing the name change. I also think 0.9.5 is not a good version number.
> It should have been version 0.10.
> But enough about the past. On to the future.
> I propose that we relegate the name "xml-i18n-tools" and the script names
> and file names with "xml-i18n-" as a prefix to gnome 1 compatibility. Then
> gnome 2 programs can just use things by the intltool name, and the tools can
> behave in a way that's suitable for the UTF-8 gnome 2 world.

All of your proposal sounds great to me. Some minor comments:

* Is there any good way to keep and
in sync in the future, if we make them separate?

* Is retaining the xml-i18n-*.in files an important form of
compatibility? The new xml-i18n-toolize will presumably alter
po/ to use them under their new names, and the new M4
macro should cause the tools to get called under their new names.

* We should add an AM_PROG_INTLTOOL macro, but retain
AM_PROG_XML_I18N_TOOLS for compatibility.

* AM_PROG_XML_I18N_TOOLS can default to legacy mode (without the 5
second pause) while AM_PROG_INTLTOOL can default to UTF-8 mode, or
make specifying the mode explicitly mandatory.

* We should add INTLTOOL-named versions of the various merge rule
substitution strings but retain the old ones for compatibility
(perhaps only when using AM_PROG_XML_I18N_TOOLS

> The only thing I don't know about is how to change the name of the cvs
> repository from xml-i18n-tools to intltool.

Copy or symlink the directory in the repository.
> Comments?
> Maciej, if you like this idea, then it's probably good to do the copying in
> the cvs repository to get this underway or get me the account I need so I
> can do it.

I can do it, but I think you should have an account on
with the same password as on, and you should be in
the appropriate group to alter the cvs repository. Or at least I
remember doing it. Maybe I forgot to email you when I was done.

 - Maciej