Re: A plan for xml-i18n-tools and gnome 2

On 24Sep2001 11:45PM (-0700), Darin Adler wrote:
> I'm a little annoyed at the half-ass step we took with version 0.9.5 of just
> renaming the tarball to a new name, without changing anything else about
> xml-i18n-tools -- I really don't see how this gets us any closer to
> completing the name change. I also think 0.9.5 is not a good version number.
> It should have been version 0.10.
>
> But enough about the past. On to the future.
>
> I propose that we relegate the name "xml-i18n-tools" and the script names
> and file names with "xml-i18n-" as a prefix to gnome 1 compatibility. Then
> gnome 2 programs can just use things by the intltool name, and the tools can
> behave in a way that's suitable for the UTF-8 gnome 2 world.

All of your proposal sounds great to me. Some minor comments:

* Is there any good way to keep xml-i18n-toolize.in and intltoolize.in
in sync in the future, if we make them separate?

* Is retaining the xml-i18n-*.in files an important form of
compatibility? The new xml-i18n-toolize will presumably alter
po/Makefile.in.in to use them under their new names, and the new M4
macro should cause the tools to get called under their new names.

* We should add an AM_PROG_INTLTOOL macro, but retain
AM_PROG_XML_I18N_TOOLS for compatibility.

* AM_PROG_XML_I18N_TOOLS can default to legacy mode (without the 5
second pause) while AM_PROG_INTLTOOL can default to UTF-8 mode, or
make specifying the mode explicitly mandatory.

* We should add INTLTOOL-named versions of the various merge rule
substitution strings but retain the old ones for compatibility
(perhaps only when using AM_PROG_XML_I18N_TOOLS

> The only thing I don't know about is how to change the name of the cvs
> repository from xml-i18n-tools to intltool.

Copy or symlink the directory in the repository.

> Comments?
>
> Maciej, if you like this idea, then it's probably good to do the copying in
> the cvs repository to get this underway or get me the account I need so I
> can do it.

I can do it, but I think you should have an account on cvs.gnome.org
with the same password as on master.gnome.org, and you should be in
the appropriate group to alter the cvs repository. Or at least I
remember doing it. Maybe I forgot to email you when I was done.

 - Maciej