Re: A plan for xml-i18n-tools and gnome 2

on 9/25/01 1:48 AM, Maciej Stachowiak at mjs noisehavoc org wrote:

> * Is there any good way to keep xml-i18n-toolize.in and intltoolize.in
> in sync in the future, if we make them separate?

We could make xml-i18n-toolize just call "intltoolize --xml-i18n-compat" or
something like that.

> * Is retaining the xml-i18n-*.in files an important form of
> compatibility? The new xml-i18n-toolize will presumably alter
> po/Makefile.in.in to use them under their new names, and the new M4
> macro should cause the tools to get called under their new names.

I thought that compatibility even with things like .cvsignore might be
important. But you can convince me otherwise.

> * We should add an AM_PROG_INTLTOOL macro, but retain
> AM_PROG_XML_I18N_TOOLS for compatibility.

That's what I meant by "two sets of macros" in item 2.

> * AM_PROG_XML_I18N_TOOLS can default to legacy mode (without the 5
> second pause) while AM_PROG_INTLTOOL can default to UTF-8 mode, or
> make specifying the mode explicitly mandatory.

I think the 5-second pause must be killed. It does no real good -- it's
based on an idea about how tools are used that's a bit confused.

> * We should add INTLTOOL-named versions of the various merge rule
> substitution strings but retain the old ones for compatibility
> (perhaps only when using AM_PROG_XML_I18N_TOOLS

That's what I had in mind too.

>> The only thing I don't know about is how to change the name of the cvs
>> repository from xml-i18n-tools to intltool.
>
> Copy or symlink the directory in the repository.

OK.

>> Maciej, if you like this idea, then it's probably good to do the copying in
>> the cvs repository to get this underway or get me the account I need so I
>> can do it.
>
> I can do it, but I think you should have an account on cvs.gnome.org
> with the same password as on master.gnome.org, and you should be in
> the appropriate group to alter the cvs repository. Or at least I
> remember doing it. Maybe I forgot to email you when I was done.

Aha! I'll try it.

    -- Darin