Re: Proposal: add a _NET_WM_DESKTOP_FILE

On Wednesday, November 11, 2015 11:25:15 PM CET you wrote:
Is there a use case where the WM_CLASS would be different from the
desktop file name in practice?

I'm not aware of any applications which weren't able to adapt to the
new WM_CLASS matching rules once told about them -- we should just
document it.

Erm, sorry. You cannot change the meaning and expect legacy applications will
adopt to it. That just doesn't work.

And yes I tried and the first application I checked has a mismatch between
desktop file name and WM_CLASS. I picked xterm.

Oh and there are also windows belonging to applications which don't have a
desktop file at all. I can think of hundreds of test applications which just
don't install on the system in any meaningful way. What's their WM_CLASS
supposed to be?

Sorry, I think that's just wish-full thinking to be able to update ICCCM
section 4.1.2.5 and everybody adopting to it.

Cheers
Martin

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 11:22 PM, Martin Graesslin <mgraesslin kde org>