Re: Proposing _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN_EXCLUSIVE

On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 12:40:31 +0200 Martin Gräßlin <mgraesslin kde org> said:

> On Friday 26 October 2012 19:04:31 Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> > On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 09:04:40 +0200 Martin Gräßlin <mgraesslin kde org> said:
> > > What if there are two windows which want the exclusive state? Maybe a
> > > manager selection is a better solution?
> >
> > it only becomes active if the window is focused, so it doesn't matter until
> > window is "focused" (active). :) you can have 10 of these and alt-tab
> > between them and each time your screen changes resolution. if the wm etc.
> > code is done right, this will work just fine. :)
> >From my experience it's not possible to alt+tab when running a game ;-) but
> get what you mean. In that case the nameing might be suboptimal as it's not
> "exclusive".

sure. name may be misleading indeed. perhaps make it resolution instead of
exclusive?

> > > Maybe the window manager just set a root window property if the resolution
> > > is "temporarily" changed for a window? That would allow other parties to
> > > ignore the resize event. E.g. a desktop shell adjusting itself to randr
> > > events could look up the root window properties and ignore the randr
> > > event.
> >
> > i think this is an internal implementation inside of kde - feel free to use
> > private properties or any other mechanism that will work. for things like
> > e17 it doesn't need to as the randr stuff is built in. the mechanisms via
> > which to talk to your components (like krandr) may be custom from desktop
> > to desktop (eg via dbus or unix sockets instead of properties), thus i
> > think its best that the standard doesn't define this and leave it up to the
> > wm/desktop to figure out.
> I did not mean that for the communication with krandr, but really to just
> tell all interested parties that the resolution is currently only temporarily
> changed. That is pretty much important (I think) to any desktop shell where
> the desktop shell is not part of the window manager. E.g. it would be
> important if someone uses Compiz or Awesome in Plasma - there are still users
> doing that. I would prefer to standardize that hint instead of having a
> custom extension.

sure, but my point is.. this is not part of the standard.. its private to that
desktop shel''s method of working. it may use x properties, it may not. but
it's an implementation detail of that shell.

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster rasterman com