Re: Re: Proposing _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN_EXCLUSIVE

On Friday 26 October 2012 19:04:31 Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 09:04:40 +0200 Martin Gräßlin <mgraesslin kde org> said:
> > What if there are two windows which want the exclusive state? Maybe a
> > manager selection is a better solution?
>
> it only becomes active if the window is focused, so it doesn't matter until
> window is "focused" (active). :) you can have 10 of these and alt-tab
> between them and each time your screen changes resolution. if the wm etc.
> code is done right, this will work just fine. :)
>From my experience it's not possible to alt+tab when running a game ;-) but I
get what you mean. In that case the nameing might be suboptimal as it's not
"exclusive".

> > Maybe the window manager just set a root window property if the resolution
> > is "temporarily" changed for a window? That would allow other parties to
> > ignore the resize event. E.g. a desktop shell adjusting itself to randr
> > events could look up the root window properties and ignore the randr
> > event.
>
> i think this is an internal implementation inside of kde - feel free to use
> private properties or any other mechanism that will work. for things like
> e17 it doesn't need to as the randr stuff is built in. the mechanisms via
> which to talk to your components (like krandr) may be custom from desktop
> to desktop (eg via dbus or unix sockets instead of properties), thus i
> think its best that the standard doesn't define this and leave it up to the
> wm/desktop to figure out.
I did not mean that for the communication with krandr, but really to just tell
all interested parties that the resolution is currently only temporarily
changed. That is pretty much important (I think) to any desktop shell where
the desktop shell is not part of the window manager. E.g. it would be
important if someone uses Compiz or Awesome in Plasma - there are still users
doing that. I would prefer to standardize that hint instead of having a custom
extension.