Re: _NET_WM_STATE_ABOVE and _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN

On Sunday 29 May 2011 18:42:28 Sam Spilsbury wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Someone just sent me an email, and I followed that by filing a bug[0]
> asking about stacking order, namely how to get always-on-top windows
> to stack above fullscreen ones for the eg, on-screen-keyboard case. It
> seems like in the EWMH that this case is not handled, since it asks
> for fullscreen windows to be above _NET_WM_TYPE_DOCK and
> _NET_WM_STATE_ABOVE windows [1]. This doesn't make much sense to me,
> and I'm wondering what the correct implementation here is.
There is somewhere a note that fullscreen windows are on top of everything else in case they
are focused and are restacked below above and dock windows if not focused. This is also
how kwin handles it. E.g. you can raise Yakuake (using above) over a fullscreen window as it
will get focus immediately. The dock is also put on top of the fullscreen window in that case.

Cheers
Martin