Re: Selection ownership for docks and panels

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 12:22 AM, Martin Gräßlin
<kde martin-graesslin com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 January 2011 16:17:40 Sam Spilsbury wrote:
>> I don't know exactly what would be the right name for this,
>> considering that we might not want to be replacing entire docks
>> (indeed, just the tasklist portion is the problematic part), so maybe
>> it might be appropriate to have a selection method for entire docks
>> (where 2 docks doesn't make sense, eg docks / panels / anything with
>> unity / gnome-shell) and one for tasklists (where two docks can
>> logically co-exist)
> From what I understand what you want to protect is the unique information like
> icon geometry which is controlled by $whatever (it does not have to be a dock,
> Plasma can have a tasks manager on the desktop window). This means that it has
> to be about whatever you want to protect and not about the docks.
>
> But I don't think that you want to protect the icon geometry. You try to fix
> symptoms instead of the problem. The symptoms are: two $whatever managing the
> icon geometry, but the problem is that there are two desktop shells. What I
> think what you want is a way to protect that there is more than one desktop
> shell. That is a selction for desktop shell. So you would have to do "unity --
> replace" or "plasma-desktop --replace" to switch desktop shell.
>
> What do you think about that? Does that fix what you want to achieve (just for
> the case you aren't I have some arguments against protecting the icon geometry
> :-)

Good idea actually - so in that case we'd need to tweak the spec a
little so that all of these docks etc register to be part of one
"shell" (eg gnome-desktop, plasma-desktop, plasma-netbook,
gnome-shell, unity-shell).

This means that you can't run custom docks at the same time as plasma though ...

Regards