Re: Re: Pager and Desktop Layout

On Monday 01 August 2011 11:28:45 Jason Kasper wrote:
> Are you saying KWin will no longer allow external entities to change its desktop layout
configuration? Or just that KWin will stop using the manager selection? Or both?
In fact the pager plasmoid is stopping to use the manager selection and not setting the
desktop layout any more. The desktop layout is initially set by kwin and can be updated
through the multiple desktops kcm. If other processes change the desktop layout KWin will
adjust the layout though it may be that the setting change is lost when restarting KWin.

In general I would say that the behavior if changes to desktop layout are not done through the
expected way is undefined.

Cheers
Martin

> --
> -[ Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper    //  http://movingparts.net ]-
> -[ KDE PIM Developer         //  http://www.kde.org  ]-
> -[ bash fun -> :(){ :|:&};:  //  Numbers 6:22-26 ]-
>

> On Jul 31, 2011, at 11:18 PM, Martin Gräßlin <mgraesslin kde org> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > in the KDE Plasma Workspaces we introduced a change [1] for our next (Winter) release
to let
> > only the window manager handle the desktop layout. This means we no longer support
the
> > following section of the EWMH spec:
> >
> > "This property is set by a Pager, not by the Window Manager. When setting this property,
the
> > Pager must own a manager selection (as defined in the ICCCM 2.8). The manager
selection is
> > called _NET_DESKTOP_LAYOUT_Sn where n is the screen number. The purpose of this
> > property is to allow the Window Manager to know the desktop layout displayed by the
Pager."

> > In our case we do no longer use the manager selection at all and the pager gets the
desktop
> > layout from the property set by the window manager (or the configuration module).
> >
> > I just wanted to know if anybody out there is still compliant to that section of the spec.
Given the