Pager and Desktop Layout

Hi all,

in the KDE Plasma Workspaces we introduced a change [1] for our next (Winter) release to let
only the window manager handle the desktop layout. This means we no longer support the
following section of the EWMH spec:

"This property is set by a Pager, not by the Window Manager. When setting this property, the
Pager must own a manager selection (as defined in the ICCCM 2.8). The manager selection is
called _NET_DESKTOP_LAYOUT_Sn where n is the screen number. The purpose of this
property is to allow the Window Manager to know the desktop layout displayed by the Pager."

In our case we do no longer use the manager selection at all and the pager gets the desktop
layout from the property set by the window manager (or the configuration module).

I just wanted to know if anybody out there is still compliant to that section of the spec. Given the
recent development of bringing desktop shell and compositor together I would assume that both
GNOME Shell and Unity do not support this any more. If that is the case I would suggest to
update this section of the spec.

Cheers
Martin Gräßlin

[1] https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/kdebase/kde-
workspace/repository/revisions/4bf7761307a2453a63d918c60e13c26980727830