Re: Need to provide a way to disable _NET_WM_FULLSCREEN_MONITORS hint

2009/11/6 Giles Atkinson <Giles Atkinson eu citrix com>:
> That makes sense to me, but also prompts me to make an additional point about this property:  why is not specified as a conventional window hint, as well a client message to request a change?
>
> The only way I was able to get this to work with Metacity was to map the window, pause a little with XSync() and then follow up with the client message.  That does work fine, but means there is a race that could cause a flicker as the window is first mapped on the WM's chosen default monitor and then moved.  Specifying it in the same way as _NET_WM_STATE, as both an initial property before initial (or first post-withdrawal) mapping, and a client message to change, would fix that and seems more consistent and logical.

I agree, the functionality as only a message completely misses windows
that want to map in fullscreen mode.  I would support this change.

I believe that it's the same but technically the file you'd want to
edit is here: http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/icccm-extensions/wm-spec/

> The advantage I see to doing it this way would mean that what currently works via sending an invalid monitor index would be made the official spec standard and require only minor patches to the implementing WM's to document this as opposed to using some other mechanism which would require more intrusive rework.
>
> Thanks in advance, all! =:)

This also sounds reasonable to me, as there is no "add/remove/toggle"
state indicator or anything of the type in the message now, and "all
monitors" (the usual use for 0xFFFFFFFF) can already be achieved
through using indices.

Cheers,
Dana